Hints, tips and ideas for landscaping your Backyard
Backyard landscaping is probably the most important part of any concept. Whilst the front is very important, as a visual aesthetic for people passing by, the backyard is where you would spend the majority of your time, as well as entertain guests.
When creating your backyard landscaping, it is good idea to think about some of the following;
- where you would like to relax; will this be right next to the house, or if not….
- how will you get to the seating areas and what will you walk on, to get there.
- what are the grades like in the yard. do you need steps or walls to create maximum use-able area’s.
- what would you like in the yard; Bar-b-que, Hot-tub, fire pit, pool, lawn, planting beds, vegetable garden.
- what do you want for screening or privacy; hedge or fence.
- where are the downspouts or drainage points and where will the water go.
- do you want a shed and if so, where you would like it.
- are there any existing factors to consider into your new backyard landscaping ideas. Utilities, trees, etc
These are all key points, when coming up with ideas for your backyard landscaping concept, as they will make the landscape that much better, if everything as a clean and smooth layout as well as functionality.
Safety for your backyard landscaping
Another aspect to consider in your backyard landscaping is safety. If you have a pool or retaining walls, does the city of Calgary require you to have any kind of fencing. If you have children, then this is advisable for any kind of substantial grade change. Also check with your local governing body, as to what the maximum wall heights allowed are, before any style of fence or railing is required. Also if you have steps, do you require a hand rail, again it is advisable, if it is a wide set of steps or if you have young children or elderly people using them.
Check out or backyard landscaping in the Gallery for backyard landscaping design ideas